Legal Counsel Climate Justice & Liability – Climate Specialist – Greenpeace International Jobs in Greenpeace International Hong Kong SAR
Website Greenpeace International
This Job Listing is about Greenpeace International in Hong Kong SAR 2022
About the job
Two year fixed term position* / full time
*offered on a 24 month contract basis.
Location: The successful candidate may be based in a country where one of the independent National/Regional Greenpeace organisations (NRO’s) is located (subject to agreement). We offer competitive NGO level salary and benefits, the specifics of which depend on location where the successful candidates will be based.
Greenpeace is a global campaigning network. It comprises 26 independent nationalegional organisations, and a coordinating organisation, Greenpeace International. Greenpeace uses peaceful, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems, and develop solutions for a green and peaceful future.
Greenpeace International (GPI) is seeking a Legal Counsel Climate Justice and Liability (Climate Specialist) to lead the co-creation, coordination, implementation and review of the litigation strategy of specific Climate Justice and Liability (CJL) campaign projects. This will involve working with GPI colleagues and the National and Regional Organisations (NROs), across multiple jurisdictions, and advising in multiple climate litigation strategies on corporate and governmental accountability.
Contributing to the design of high impact strategic climate litigation, you will guide, encourage, support and work with NRO project teams in all litigation phases of the campaign project lifecycle. You will assess and advise on the legal risks associated with the campaign’s complex and multi-jurisdictional activities and provide legal expertise in climate and energy issues in order to input on strategy development. You will be part of the GPI legal unit and work under the supervision of the Senior Legal Counsel for Strategic Litigation and in close cooperation and guidance from the Climate Justice and Liability permanent lawyer.
In this role you will:
- Provide legal advice and support for the development and implementation of legal strategies for the CJL campaign, anticipating possible threats and identifying opportunities for legal tools to advance objectives.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of international environmental and human rights law, climate law and science, plus other relevant issues, to provide proactive guidance and legal advice to Greenpeace global campaigns.
- Assist in domestic, regional and international climate litigation, including development of litigation strategies and application of international law, as well as drafting, reviewing and disseminating legal submissions.
- Partner with NROs, external counsel and allies in the development and implementation of legal strategies, including by building evidentiary basis and legal arguments for cases that build the power of communities.
- Lead and manage the legal aspects of assigned projects, helping to drive the design and co-creation of new projects to drive the campaign objectives.
- Lead the legal risk assessment and review of litigation strategies and campaign publications, ensuring campaign compliance with legal review procedures.
- Lead discussions, planning and execution regarding the project’s climate litigation strategies and associated activities, and support mobilising efforts to help fund and build public support for the legal cases.
- Lead and develop high-level legal expertise in climate and energy issues, in order to enhance the overall strategy and identify strategic opportunities.
- Conduct training and capacity building, as well as knowledge sharing via events, peer review publications, etc.
- Work with communities threatened by the impacts of climate change to ensure legal efforts help deliver justice – inside or outside the courtroom.
- Establish, maintain and integrate a global network of allies, experts, academics and stakeholders on relevant legal issues.
- Represent GPI at UN treaty bodies and other mechanisms in conjunction with other GPI colleagues.
- Represent, as delegated, GPI and NROs at international and national meetings, acting as a spokesperson for the project, assisting in developing media strategies and communications products, and actively cultivating media relationships.
- Participate in regular progress reviews and evaluations of campaign projects and help to develop a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework.
What we’re looking for:
- University degree in law.
- Admission and good standing with a bar association.
- Substantial and demonstrable experience working as a professional lawyer (ideally at least 5 years as a qualified attorney), preferably in an international context with ability to work as a litigation strategist outside own jurisdiction.
- Experience of using law in a campaigning context.
- Demonstrable experience working in government or corporate accountability in climate litigation.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and experience in human rights law and international environmental law.
- Experience in civil, administrative and/or criminal litigation.
- Experience working with affected communities in litigation.
- Knowledge and understanding of climate science.
- Ability to develop, implement and manage complex projects and to guide legal project teams.
- Exceptional influencing skills, plus strong negotiation, conflict resolution, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong ability to communicate complex legal issues, tailored to targeted audiences.
- Strong skills in capacity-building, training and knowledge transfer.
- Analytical skills, digital literacy and ability to use data insights to make decisions.
- Fluent written and spoken English, with knowledge/fluency in additional languages preferred and, ideally, experience working outside the Global North.
- Ability to work under pressure, with the flexibility to work with colleagues across multiple time zones and to travel internationally if required.
If you share our vision, please click ‘apply for this job’ , to begin your application.
To apply for this role, we require you to answer questions from a selection of key criteria and upload your CV (no longer than 3 pages) and a writing sample (no more than 4 pages, on any legal subject) via our online application form.
The legal writing sample may be anything from a peer reviewed article, an op-ed, to a blog. If you have legal writing that is longer than 4 pages please submit an excerpt with the relevant context.
All documents must be in English.
Addressing the key criteria in your answers is an important part of your application. We will be looking for evidence that demonstrates your skills and experience in these areas. Use examples where possible, to draw attention to experience, knowledge, achievements and skills gained in past employment or voluntary/leisure activities, provided they are relevant to the post.
It’s advisable to prepare your responses to the key criteria before starting your online application, as you are unable to save and return to it at a later date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that all applications must be filled out via the website and can’t be submitted via this email.
Greenpeace International is an equal opportunity employer with a longstanding commitment of providing a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of each individual. We recognise and value the benefits and strengths that diversity brings to our employees and the whole organisation and we thrive in an environment that encourages respect and trust. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and would like to invite you especially to apply!
If you are passionate about our mission and you fit our profile then we would love to hear from you!
CLOSING DATE: 19th April 2022, 23:59 (CEST).
Company: Greenpeace International
Vacancy Type: Full-time · Mid-Senior level
Job Location: Hong Kong SAR
Application Deadline: N/A